Skip to content ↓

SEND Information Report

Feltham Hill Infant and Nursery School aims to provide children with a happy, secure and stimulating environment.  We seek to achieve the highest possible standards.   However for some children to succeed additional support may be needed so they can reach their full potential.

Headteacher – Angela White

Deputy Headteacher – Felicity Sinclair

SEN Leader/Head of Centre - Nicola Kirby

Admin Officer – Jane Sargent

SEN Governor – Vicki Ellis

Governor for Looked After Children – Martin Roberts


How does the school know if children need extra help?

When any member of staff (Class Teacher, Teaching Assistants, Welfare Assistants, School Midday Supervisors Assistant) has concerns about a child, they raise it with the Class Teacher in the first instance or the Year Group Leader who will offer advice.

We track the progress of all our children closely so we can quickly identify children who may be falling behind and may need additional support.  Class teachers regularly discuss the progress of each child with Senior Leaders.

What should I do if I think my child may have special needs?

Parents can bring concerns or information about their child’s needs to the class teacher or the year group leader.  If you think your child may have special educational needs, please see your class teacher in the first instance.  If your child has medical needs please contact our Welfare Assistant in the school office.  If your child has medical needs please contact our Admin Officer in the school office.  You can also contact the SEN Leader or Headteacher via the school office.

How will the school support my child?

Senior staff and governors monitor the quality of the support given to children with special educational needs.  Class teachers are responsible for the children’s learning and will be able to explain what is happening for your child.  Extra support, which is additional to and different from the usual classroom experience, is planned by the class teacher with the SEN Leader and/or specialist teachers.  The additional support may be provided by a teacher or a teaching assistant.  The support may be one to one or in a small group.  All additional special educational needs support is overseen by the SEN Leader.

Who will explain to parents what is happening for the child?

Talk to your class teacher or year group leader or make an appointment at the office to see the SEN Leader if you would like to know more about your child’s additional support.

How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

High quality classroom teaching is the key to learning at school.  A broad, balanced and creative curriculum offers learning matched to children’s ability.

Learning opportunities are designed so that children of all abilities can take part.

Additional adult support may be used in a variety of ways; small groups, one to one support in or out of class, or to support the class teacher to plan for or work with children with special needs.

How will I know how my child is doing?

Parents meetings are held in the autumn and spring terms and a report goes out in the summer term.  Children with Education Health Care plans (EHC plans) and Statement of Special Educational Needs have an annual review meeting.

How will the school support parents to help their child's learning?

Parents will find information on the school website about what children are learning in each year group.  Ideas are given about how to support your child with their learning.

If appropriate, homework may be personalised for a child with special educational needs.

Our home-school agreement will tell you the behaviour we expect from parents and children.

Some children with special educational needs will be supported by an Individual Education Plan, or IEP.  This plan is shared with parents and the children where appropriate.

When will parents be able to discuss a child’s progress?

When agencies from outside school have been involved, they normally provide suggestions and advice that can be followed up at home.

Parents are welcome to make an appointment to see the class teacher or other relevant members of the staff at other times.

What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being?

At Feltham Hill Infant and Nursery School all staff have a responsibility for the welfare of all children.  Medical care plans are used where appropriate, for example when a child needs to be given medicine in school.

Safeguarding and child protection procedures are in place.  The person to contact is the Headteacher.

Our behaviour policy is followed by all staff.

Nurture groups support some children.

Attendance is monitored regularly to ensure all children have good attendance and arrive punctually.  Please speak to the Attendance Officer in the office if you would like more information about attendance.

What specialist services and expertise are available or accessed by the school?

Sometimes we need to consult an outside agency for more specialised advice.  The agencies consulted by the school include:

  • The Early Intervention Service (specialist learning and behaviour advisory teachers)

  • The SEN Specialist Support Team (advisors for visual and hearing impairment and physical needs)

  • The Educational Psychology Service

  • CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services)

  • Social Services

  • Heart of Hounslow Health Centre (School Nurse, Speech Therapists)

We obtain parental permission before referring a child to an outside agency for support with their behaviour and learning.

What training will the staff supporting children with SEND have?

All staff are trained in teaching children with special educational needs through whole staff training sessions.  Individual staff members may  also have  additional specialist training in a range of areas including speech and language work and TEACCH.

Our permanent teachers in the Centre at Feltham Hill hold additional qualifications specialising in the education of children with Autistic Spectrum Disorder and those with Social Communication Difficulties.

How will children be included in activities outside the classroom, including school trips?

Our enrichment timetable and trips outside school are accessible for all our children.  If necessary, additional adults are arranged to support a children with special educational needs or a disability.  This information is recorded on the risk assessments that are prepared for all trips.  Risks assessments are signed off by the Headteacher and the Chair of Governors.

How accessible is the school environment?

Children’s specific learning needs are supported through the use of technology where appropriate.

There is one disabled parking space, with a linked path to the main office.

The school is on one level with wheelchair accessible doorways.

The school has an adult disabled toilet in each of the school buildings.

The school has an accessibility plan in place.

How will the school prepare and support my child when:

They join the school?

They transfer to a new school?

The school works closely with schools and early education settings in the local area to support the needs of all children when they arrive.

At the end of Year 2 children spend the day at their new school.

The Inclusion Manager/SEN Leader meets with the next school SENCo in the summer term.

Class Teachers meet with new teachers to discuss the needs of each child.

The Inclusion Leader visits early year’s settings to ensure there is a smooth transition into the Infant school for specific children.

How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to the children’s needs?

The Senior Leadership Team alongside governors monitor our finances carefully.

We use our resources to support the aims of our school as well as individual learner needs.

Where a child needs substantial support, we apply to the Local Authority for additional or high needs funding to meet their needs.

How is the decision made about the type and how much support a child will receive?

Each child’s need is examined on an individual basis.

Individual support is through specific strategies carried out by the class teachers.

Intervention groups have entry and exit criteria based on more than one factor, and are flexible.  One child may need additional support throughout; other children may need it for a short period. Impact of interventions will be measured regularly and  reported to Governors when appropriate.

For children with EHC Plans, the type of support needed will be detailed on their plan. This is discussed at an annual review meeting with parents and professionals.

For a very few children, we may request and assessment for an Education Health Plan be made by the local authority.  Please ask if you would like more information about this process.

How are parents involved in the school, and how can they become involved?

We welcome and value parent volunteers at our school.  Parents contribute to the life of the school through regular classroom help and adult support for one off trips and activities.   All adults working with children complete Criminal Record Bureau checks in line with Government guidance.

We also have a PTA which raises funds for the school.  Each year events are organised to promote the school e.g. Christmas Fair, cake sales and scavenger hunts.

How does the school listen to children’s views?

We have a school council that is held regularly.  Children are able to talk about issues and give opinions about their school day.

Personal, Health, Social and Emotional (P.S.H.E) are held regularly, this gives the children an opportunity to talk about their learning and environment.

Children questionnaires are completed annually and address children’s views.

How do Governors make sure SEN children’s needs are met?

We have an appointed SEN Governor who meets termly with the Inclusion Leader to discuss the provision of support for children with special needs and the outcomes of the provision.

At Governors meetings data and information is shared about children’s progress and attainment on a regular basis, including that of children with special needs. Any issues that may arise from children not making sufficient progress would be discussed and addressed.

Governors make focussed visits to our school regularly.

How do children gain admission to The Centre at Feltham Hill?

Entry to The Centre at Feltham Hill is decided by the Head of Centre.  All children must have a diagnosis of ASD or be on the ASD pathway.  All children in the Centre must have an EHC Plan or a Statement of Special Educational Needs.

Parents of children with ASD are welcome to look around the centre.  Please contact the office to arrange an appointment with the Head of Centre.

Who can parents contact for further information, or raise concerns?

If you think that your child has special educational needs please see your class teacher.  You can also contact the Inclusion Leader, Deputy Headteacher or the Headteacher via the school office.

Hounslow Helping Handz Network, the parent partnership service, is a free independent and confidential service that supports parents of children with special needs.  You can contact them or call 020 8583 3626

The London Borough of Hounslow provide a number of services who support children with SEND.  Use the link above for more detailed information.